- Information Woobo collects
- How we use information we collect
- Woobo’s data security and storage practices
- International users
- kidSAFE Safety + COPPA Privacy Rules
- How you can contact Woobo.
Woobo respects your family’s privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Data Controller and Owner
198 River Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
Owner contact email: email@example.com
Information We Collect
We collect three types of data about you and your children:
- Information that you or others provide to us;
- Information gathered from the Voice Recordings; and
- Technical data passively collected from all visitors to the Woobo Site.
Information You Provide
When using the Woobo Site and Services, and when you sign up for a Woobo Account, you may provide us with a combination of Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. Personal Information is information that you provide to us which personally identifies you, such as your name, e-mail address, phone number, password selected to use our Services, and your child’s first name or nickname, month and year of birth, and gender.
When you register on the mailing list or for our newsletter, your email address will be added to our contact list. We may also collect other information that you directly provide to us, such as when you send us an email, participate in our surveys, provide or request information from customer support, or otherwise submit information to us through our Services. Such information may include Personal Information such as your name, email, your telephone number, and your location.
Non-Personal Information cannot reasonably be used to identify you. You may provide this information when you register for a Woobo account or otherwise complete a transaction using the Woobo Site.
You and your child can interact with the Woobo Toy by pressing its ear and speaking to it. The Woobo Toy’s ear will light up with a blue LED light when it is listening to you or your child, and we may capture voice recordings during those interactions. These Voice Recordings of children under age 13 are considered Personal Information under the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”). Woobo obtains parental consent for their children’s use of the Services using parental email, which is an approved method under COPPA. By creating an Account, certifying through parental email, and using the Services, you certify that you provide such consent and are responsible for all activities under your Account.
We cannot prevent children from providing additional Personal Information when they interact with the Woobo Toy, and such information may be recorded in the Voice Recordings and documented in the transcriptions derived from Voice Recordings. We do not routinely monitor the Voice Recordings, but it is our policy to delete such Personal Information disclosed in the Voice Recordings and transcriptions if we become aware of it. Please contact us if you have reason to believe that your child has disclosed additional Personal Information in a Voice Recording, and we will be happy to delete it.
The Woobo Toy and Parent App also allow parents and their child to exchange personal voice messages. These voice messages are stored locally in the child’s Woobo Toy and in the Parent App for you and your child to retrieve and play back. While the voice messages may be temporarily stored in our servers during the transmittal process, Woobo does not listen to, retain after delivery, or transcribe voice messages between parents and children. There are no voice message-forwarding capabilities. Unless you or your child replay a voice message in front of others, there are no means by which you or your child may make any Personal Information publicly available through the use of our voice messaging Services.
Like most Web-based services, we automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser when you use the Woobo Site. We may use a variety of methods, including Beacons and Cookies, to collect this Passively-Collected Data. The information that we collect with these automated methods may include, for example, your IP Address, Cookie information, a unique device or user ID, browser type, system type, the content and pages that you access on the Woobo Site, and the “referring URL” (that is, the page from which you navigated to the Woobo Site). We may also collect information when you use the Parent App, such as your device model and name, and mobile network information. We may also automatically collect certain logistical information in server logs, such as information about how you use various features of the Services, and length and frequency of each use.
- SumoMe (for mailing list and newsletter);
- MailChimp (to sync subscription data for e-mail services); and
- Google Cloud Speech API (offline voice recognition and transcription technology).
Information We Collect About Your Child
As described above, we collect information you provide about your child, including your child’s first name or nickname, month and year of birth, and gender. We also collect Voice Recordings made during your child’s interactions with the Woobo Toy’s voice recognition features, as well as any information disclosed in those Voice Recordings, including your child’s Personal Preferences.
How We Use Information We Collect
Woobo uses the information we collect to establish, maintain, and enhance our relationship with you and your child.We obtain your consent for your child’s use of the Services by email, which is an approved method under COPPA. By creating an Account, certifying through email, and using the Services, you certify that you provide such consent and are responsible for all activities under your Account.
Woobo may also use the parental email and other information you provide, or that we automatically collect, through you and your child’s use of the Services, the Parent App and your Account, as follows:
- We use your contact information to get verifiable parental consent for your child’s use of the Woobo Toy and Services. We use the information we collect when you create a Woobo Account, including your name, your child’s name, and your email address, to obtain your consent pursuant to COPPA for your child’s use of the Woobo Toy and our Services. Your consent is required for Woobo to collect and use the Personal Information we collect from your child’s Voice Recordings. Your child will not be able to interact with the Woobo Toy unless and until we receive your consent. If you do not provide consent within two (2) weeks of creating your Woobo Account, we will delete your online contact information from our records.
- We use the information we collect to display and personalize content on the Woobo Site and to communicate with you. We use the information we collect to provide and maintain our Services; to enhance your user experience; to send you notifications, confirmations, updates, product announcements, security alerts, and administrative messages; and to otherwise facilitate your and your child’s use of, and our administration and provision of, the Services.
When you sign-up for an Account, we use the Personal and Non-Personal Information you provide to create and maintain your Account. We also use your child’s age to tailor the Woobo Toy’s interactions with your child.
We also track your child’s use of the Woobo Toy to understand your child’s Personal Preferences, so that the Woobo Toy can interact with your child on topics of his or her particular interests.
- We use Voice Recordings to improve upon our Services, and to develop new products and Services. We also use the information we collect to enhance and personalize our Services.
We do not share the Voice Recordings or transcriptions thereof with our service providers or any third parties.
Woobo never uses Voice Recordings or their content, including any Personal Information that may be captured in the Voice Recordings, to contact children or to advertise to them.
We store Voice Recordings only as long as necessary to transcribe the content for these purposes, after which the Voice Recordings are permanently deleted from our servers. You may request deletion of your child’s Voice Recordings and associated logs and transcripts by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, in response to which we will permanently delete the Voice Recordings, logs and transcripts from our servers.
- We use the information we collect for customer service. During customer service communications, we may collect information in order to respond to your communications and requests, provide customer service, request feedback, and otherwise contact you about your use of the Services. During these customer service communications, we do not anticipate obtaining Personal Information about your child other than the information we already have (that is, your child’s first name or nickname, month and year of birth, and gender). We may monitor and analyze demographic trends relating to customer service requests.
Information we share with others. Your privacy is important. We are committed to protecting information that identifies you personally, where you have chosen to keep it private. While we may share Non-Personal Information, we will only share your Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- With Woobo service providers. When Woobo hires a service provider to help operate the Woobo Site or our business (including vendors and payment processors), Woobo may give access to certain Personal Information necessary for the service provider to undertake its work, in which case we will require those service providers to honor the privacy of your Personal Information. Woobo currently uses the following third party service providers to provide its Services. In doing so, it discloses only your email address (but no other Personal Information about your or your child) to these service providers:SumoMe Mailing List or Newsletter (operated by Sumo Group, Inc.): By registering for the Woobo newsletter or joining Woobo’s mailing list, your email address will be added to the SumoMe contact list. Your email address may also be added to the mailing list when you create a Woobo Account, sign up for our Services, or make a purchase from us. Sumo Group, Inc. does not disclose your email address to any third parties.MailChimp (operated by The Rocket Science Group, LLC): Woobo sends email messages using MailChimp’s email message-sending services. The Rocket Science Group, LLC does not disclose your email address to any third parties.
- With Woobo affiliates and partners. We may share some or all of your Personal Information with our affiliates and partners (including a parent company, subsidiaries, other companies that we control or that are under common control with us, and joint venture partners), in which case we will require those affiliates and partners to honor your Personal Information. At this time, Woobo does not have any parent company, subsidiary, other company in its control or that is under common control with it, or joint venture partner, and we do not currently share your Personal Information with any affiliates or partners.
- In the event of merger or sale. If Woobo is involved in a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, or any form of sale of some or all of its business, Personal Information may be transferred with the business.
We aggregate and anonymize data. We may use information we collect in aggregated forms. That is, we may combine information about our users, including aggregated demographic information about children, with that of others in an anonymous manner to create Aggregate Information. Aggregate Information does not contain or constitute Personal Information. In such cases, there will be no identifying information disclosed about you or your children. When we employ non-Woobo companies to anonymize or aggregate data on our behalf, we will protect your Personal Information by following our requirements for sharing Personal Information with third party service providers.
We may also share transcripts, text, or data created from the Voice Recordings that no longer contains a child’s voice, with service providers or other third parties. These transcripts, text and data will contain only Non-Personal Information (not voices and not Personal Information) that cannot be used to identify any individual.
- Information we gather through public sources.
Our Data Security and Storage Practices
Your Wi-Fi credentials are stored in an encrypted section of the Woobo Toy so that it can connect to our servers and the Parent App via the Internet. Voice messages are also stored locally on the Woobo Toy.
Please be aware that, despite our efforts, no security measures are impenetrable. Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that any method of data transmission will protect against any interception or other type of misuse.
Your Choices Regarding the Use of Your Information
If you wish to stop further collection or use of your child’s Personal Information, including Voice Recordings, or to delete your email address, you may choose to permanetly delete your Account by emailing us at email@example.com. Please note that, by permanently deleting your Account, you will disable the functionality of the Woobo Toy. To reinstate functionality at a later date, you may set up a new Account using a different email address.
You may also opt out of receiving emails from us at anytime by following the unsubscribe instructions in those emails.
kidSAFE Safety + COPPA Privacy Rules
How You Can Contact Us
You may also write to us at:
Attn: Woobo Privacy
198 River Street
Cambridge, MA 02139
In order to use the Services and for your child to be able to interact with his or her Woobo toy, you must register for a Woobo Account through the Parent App. When you sign up for a Woobo Account, you may provide us with a combination of Personal Information and Non-Personal Information. By creating an Account and using the Services, you certify that you provide consent for use of the Services by you and your child, and that you are responsible for all activities and use of the Services under your Account.
Aggregate Information means information about groups or categories of Site users that does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual user. Aggregate Information is a type of Non-Personal Information.
Application Program Interfaces (APIs)
An API is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications that define the methods of communication among various software components.
Web Beacons are electronic files that may be used in the Site and Services, and in emails from us relating to the Site and the Services. We may use Web Beacons to monitor user activity on the Site, such as to count Site visits, understand how our Site is used, and to tell if an email has been opened.
A Cookie is a small file containing a string of characters that is sent to your computer when you visit a website. Cookies used cannot read data from your hard drive. When you visit the website again, the Cookie allows that site to recognize your browser as a previous visitor. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. You can set your browser to refuse all Cookies or to indicate when a Cookie is being sent, or to clear out Cookie information. However, some features or Services of the Woobo Site may not function properly without Cookies.
Every computer connected to the Internet is assigned a unique number known as an Internet protocol (IP) address. Because these numbers are usually assigned in country- and ISP-based blocks, an IP Address can often be used to identify the country and ISP from which a computer is connecting to the Internet.
Non-Personal Information is information that does not directly identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual user.
The Parent App refers to the mobile application through which a parent can use the Services, monitor their child’s interactions with the Woobo Toy, and send voice messages to their child through the Woobo Toy. In order to use the Services and for your child to be able to interact with his or her Woobo toy, you must register for a Woobo Account through the Parent App.
Passively-Collected Data is data we automatically receive and record on our server logs from your browser when you use the Woobo Site. We may use a variety of methods, including Beacons and Cookies, to collect this information and recognize it as yours. The information we collect using these automated methods may include a user’s IP Address, Cookie information, a unique device or user ID, browser type, system type, the content and pages that you access on the Woobo Site, and the “referring URL” (the page from which you navigated to the Woobo Site).
Personal Information is information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s name, e-mail address, telephone number, Social Security number and financial account number. Personal Information does not include information available from public sources. When Non-Personal Information is directly or indirectly associated with Personal Information, Woobo protects this Non-Personal Information as it does Personal Information.
Woobo tracks your child’s favorite categories of information and types of interactions, as determined by how he or she interacts with and uses the Woobo Toy. For example, Woobo may learn that your child enjoys books and games relating to space and astronomy. Woobo may then use this information to customize the Woobo Toy’s future interactions with your child.
The Woobo Services are defined to include the Woobo Site, its features, applications, data and products, including speech-processing services relating to your child’s interactions with the Woobo Toy.
The Voice Recordings are defined as the sound recordings made when your child presses the Woobo Toy’s ear and speaks to interact with the Woobo Toy. The Woobo Toy’s ear will light up with a blue LED light when it is listening to your child. The Woobo Toy does not otherwise listen or record unless it has been activated by pressing on its ear.
The term Woobo Site includes all internet-based properties owned and operated by Woobo, including but not limited to the Woobo Toy, Parent App, and web applications.
The term Woobo Toy refers to our interactive companion doll with voice speaking and recording capabilities for the purposes of engaging with and educating children.
Last updated: September 20, 2017